From 21st June to 4th July is Co-op Fortnight, 2 weeks to celebrate co-ops across the world. We’re taking a step back to look at some of the basics of what a co-op is, how they work and how we can all benefit from being part of a co-op.
What is a co-op?
A co-op is a business or organisation that’s owned and controlled by its members, to meet their shared needs. The members can be its customers, employees, residents or suppliers, who have a say in how the co-op is run.
Village Greens was founded in 2014 with investment from over 400 members in and around Prestwich. These funds were used to set up a local, ethical shop to serve the local community with fresh organic produce. A huge amount of work went into building our co-op based around the shared principles and values of all co-ops around the world.
1. A co-op is owned and controlled by its members. It exists for the benefit of its members, who may be customers, workers, suppliers or the wider community.
2. A co-op is democratic – this means every member has an equal say in how it’s run and how profits are used.
3. Every member contributes financially in some way – from buying products, working for the co-op, investing in it or deciding how to spend its profits.
4. A co-op is an independent business, owned and controlled by its members.
5. It offers education and training to everyone involved, so they can develop the co-op and promote the benefits of co-operation.
6. It co-operates, works with and supports other co-ops.
7. A co-op supports the communities it works with.
The Co-operative Values
1. Caring for others
7. Self help
8. Self responsibility
10. Social responsibility
Different Types of Co-op
There’s loads of different types of co-ops which can be found all across the country and it’s worth knowing that together they contribute over £38 billion to the UK economy! They can be worker controlled, producer owned, customer owned or multi stakeholder owned. Village Greens is a community owned co-operative, which basically means lots of members invested financially in a share of our co-op. So everyone who invested owns their little part of Village Greens and has their say as to how its run and benefits from being part of a growing local business with community values at its heart.
Join a Co-op
The theme of Co-op Fortnight this year is Join a Co-op. So if you are interested in finding out more about Village Greens and becoming a member then drop us an email for more information email@example.com
All info re co-ops taken from Cooperatives UK website: Co-operatives UK